All credit goes to Vegan Yum Yum for the original recipe, but being that this is Little Martha in the kitchen, there were some modifications made.
- 8 lasagna noodles
- 1 eggplant
- 3 cups of spinach
- 2 cups of mushrooms
- Vegetable Oil (olive oil, if you have it)
- Black pepper
- Marinara sauce
- 1 cup pine nuts
- 1 tbs. water
- 1/2 tsp white wine vinegar
- Italian herb seasonings
- Boil the lasagna noodles in salted water until al dente. Lay them on a cookie sheet to rest and cool.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees (and make sure nothing is in the oven before it gets to 250! Or maybe I’m the only who does that.)
- Peel the eggplant and slice them to create long, vertical slices. Season with salt and pepper.
- Take out your skillet and individually cook down the following and then set each aside: eggplant slices (til golden brown), toast the pine nuts, saute the mushrooms and cook down the spinach, and it will cook down.
- If your lucky enough to have a working food processor, put your pine nuts, water, vinegar and seasonings in then push the button and be done with it. If you don’t, finely chop the pine nuts by hand and then add the wet ingredients to make the pine nut spread.
- Assemble to your liking. I like this approach: noodle, spread, eggplant, spinach, mushrooms, marinara sauce and repeat.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes.